Saturday, July 21, 2012

'SUP, brah?

After my nice, slow run this morning, I tried out a new activity: Stand-up Paddleboard (otherwise known as SUP). I signed up for a "newbie" class at the beach. We didn't go far (one person didn't get past sitting on the board), but I had a great time - and what a good workout! I can already feel my poor obliques...
It was difficult to get the form down, and even harder to balance, but I am proud to say I did not fall in the water (on accident) once! The instructors were pretty impressed, but what can I say? Three years of rowing in college finally paid off!
Ignore the fact that my left hand is no longer on the paddle handle...
I would love to do this again! The head instructor today teaches a "Paddle Fitness" class on Sundays but it's on Sunday when I should be in church, or when I will have my LSD runs this fall. It does sound like a nice change of pace from the gym though - we do sit ups and push ups and yoga on the boards (on the water, of course).

Mr. Crab has a boat (a small flats boat, for fishing in the backwaters of the Everglades). Sometimes when he goes out fishing I tag along and fish a little but spend a much larger percentage of the time laying out and catching rays. I think it might be fun to launch a SUP trip from the boat!

Believe it or not, this day got even better. I came home for my first meal - it was nearly 1pm by the time I stopped at Bed Bath & Beyond then got home - and I had some new foods: Wasa multigrain crispbreads topped with one-ingredient peanut butter and some Hero brand Fruit Spreadables I ran across at Super Target. The crispbread was very crispy and pretty tasty, but the cherry-banana spreadable I picked out was super-awesome! The fruit combination was perfect (I LOVE me some cherries), but the spread has no artificial flavors or colors, and no high-fructose corn syrup, and it's a super-spreadable consistency (probably why it's called a "Fruit Spreadable"). Check them out next time you're in Target's PB&J aisle - you won't regret it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment