Monday, July 23, 2012

Mix-it-up Monday

A little change will do you good!

My gym closed on Saturday because on Friday they moved all of their equipment into a new location (which is much larger, so that is a good move!). Same shopping center, but now instead of being right next to the bar, they're right by Cici's Pizza and Dunkin Donuts. Exactly what I need at 6:30 in the morning when I usually leave! They have their final inspections in the new place today so there are no workouts. Instead, they're having them on the beach, BUT THEY DON'T START UNTIL THE BEACH OPENS AT 8 AM. What good is that to me?

I decided since I didn't do well with eating and working out last week, I would still get up at 4:30 and go for a run. What a great change of pace! It was only 73ºF out, and on the way back I had one of those headwinds that doesn't really push you back, but gives you some nice cool moving air. Perfect! It was a little creepy when I was about half a mile from my street and I saw a shadowy figure bobbing and weaving in the general area of the sidewalk up ahead. Was he heading toward me or away? Was he drunk, or just not paying attention? I slowed down (but my heart rate raced!) and managed not to pass him. I think he was on his cell phone and not paying attention, but he was definitely going away from me. Whew. Mr. Crabs ordered himself a new headlamp and I will be using it on my morning runs for sure - it has a built-in safety whistle so that is nice. I've also got a super reflective LED vest on its way too. Yay morning runs!

Today's workout (including warm-up and WOD, or "workout of the day" as we call it) is at the bottom of the page - I think I'll start including those to up my fit cred :) It was a tough workout, but I'm glad I went. It was nice to get some sun, and the change of scenery was pretty awesome! And the best way to end a mixed-up Monday? Breakfast for dinner. Sausage (which I didn't like so I only ate one); 100% whole wheat waffles with 100% pure maple syrup; and eggs scrambled with red pepper, onion, jalapeños, green Tabasco, and spices. YUM!
I also want to start doing weekly reflections, mostly to hold myself accountable for improving myself. This past week -

Things that went well:

  • My fasting - no major hangry moments
  • Quick comeback from my rib injury (not 100% yet but MUCH better than five days ago)
  • Good finds at the farmer's market! I'm excited to go back next week
  • I tried a new vegetable, and liked it too!
  • I tried a new activity (SUP), and Mr. Crabs is going to try it with me soon
  • I lost one pound
Things that could have gone better:
  • I had pizza and cookies on Friday (and cookies on Saturday and Sunday). And not whole-wheat no-white-sugar ones either. I'm talking Little Caesar's and Tollhouse cookies! And I didn't feel so great yesterday.
  • Saturday evening was the company's family fun event at a waterpark. I ate their catered food - pasta salad, pulled pork, and Italian ice - and really felt sick that night.
  • I was not good about stopping eating when I felt full, or with eating even if I wasn't hungry. Need to work on that.
Goals for the week:
  • WODs on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
  • Runs on Tuesday (2mi), Thursday (3mi), Saturday (2mi), and Sunday (4mi)
Send me some good fitness vibes!


Today's workout

Warm-up:
  • 800m run (on the hard-packed sand)
  • Dynamic stretching
  • 4 rounds, every minute on the minute:
    • 25m bear crawl (in the soft sand)
    • 10 squat jumps
WOD ("Workout of the Day")
7 rounds, for time
  • 100m sprint (in the soft sand)
  • 7 burpees (in the soft sand)
My time - 11:45. Not great, but my car said it was 97ºF when I left the beach. So hot! And no wind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment