Monday, July 16, 2012

Did I mention I committed?

To the 2013 Miami ING Marathon!


This will be my first FULL LENGTH marathon, and I'm lucky enough to work for a company that is starting its first "Marathon Challenge" which means it's paying my race entry! I've registered through work and once their deadline passes they will get a special promotion code that I can use to register with the race itself. Since Mr. Crab also works for the same company, he is using the opportunity to register for the half marathon. This will be the first time he's raced 13.1 miles withOUT having swam and biked immediately beforehand!

The guy heading this up for HR is a former ultramarathoner and Ironman Hawaii finisher so he's been a great resource for training and preparation. I did, however, decide to purchase my own 16-week training plan through Runners World Magazine: the Break-4:30 Marathon Plan. Because if I'm going to go all out for 26.2 miles I better have a motivating goal time!

So starting October 8, I will be running four days a week (sometimes five, but in those cases one day will be very short and fast). I'm going to try to keep up with four days a week at the gym as well, but scaling back the weights and focusing on my speed in the workout.

I did scan through the runs in the training plan (they build up to 18~20mile runs pretty quickly!) and it offers the option of a 12 mile long, slow distance run (LSD) or a half marathon race on December 2 - I'm pretty sure I'm going to opt for the race! It just so happens the Palm Beaches Marathon and Half Marathon is that day... we shall see if it is in the cards :)

No comments:

Post a Comment