Monday, August 27, 2012

Hot Tamales!

Let me just say that I am a sucker for tamales.

I'm not sure why - they are SO SIMPLE but they taste SO WONDERFUL!

I found some shredded beef ones at Target awhile back (and by awhile I mean about two weeks ago - we've already eaten half of them for dinner last week). I know traditionally there is no sauce for tamales, but my family always put chili on top of the ones my grandma would send us for Christmas. I need something moist to mingle with the masa.

So today I went on an internet search for "tamale sauce" (ha) and stumbled across a forum at chowhound.com that mentioned Bombero Sauce for tamales. Well, that sounded pretty legitimate and a quick scan of the interwebz showed that someone named Tiny Toodles has been spreading their recipe all over the net. Then I looked up arbol chiles - at least twice as hot as jalapeños! - and realized that a cup of them was a bit more than my sissy tastebuds can handle. So I instead made a "wimpy" bombero (which translates to firefighter) sauce instead!
I had few cups of leftover sauce - it looks like someone will be making chicken enchiladas later this week to use it up! :)

Medium Bombero Sauce

Ingredients

  • 3 serrano chiles, seeds and stems removed, diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed
  • 1 beefsteak tomato
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 2 chipotle chiles ( packed in adobo)
  • 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 8 oz (1 cup) sour cream
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

  1. Place all of the ingredients except for the oil in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
  2. Pour the ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 5 minutes or when all of the chiles are completely pureed.
  3. Heat the oil on medium heat in the sauce pan you were using. Pour the chile back into the sauce pan and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. I may have cooked mine longer to reduce it to a thicker sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment