Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Down n' up n' down

I've had a song stuck in my head for a few days. It's not a song I'm proud to know the words to or even admit that I've heard ... but I have to share with you guys - Up n' Down by Britney Spears... you can listen here: Up n' Down - Femme Fatale (Deluxe Version)

Stuck in your head now? Ha! Still in mine too... but I think it's been an appropriate anthem for the past few days.


Yesterday I had a pretty great workout!

Warm-Up

500m Row
Dynamic Stretching

Skill: OH Squats

4 min Tabata
OH Squats 45/35

WOD

4 Rounds
  • 2 Rope Climbs
  • 4 Power Cleans 65lb (155/105)
  • 6 Burpees
  • 8 Front Squats  65lb (155/105)
  • 10 Deadlifts 65lb (155/105)
This isn't your old-school gym class rope climb! It's not all upper-body strength, and there is definitely technique to it!
When I started almost a year ago, I couldn't get up the rope. We have a "scaled" alternate move where you start standing next to the rope, and keeping your feet planted, you "walk" your hands down the rope until your shoulder blades are on the ground, but your butt is in the air. Then you climb yourself back up to standing. Three of these equals one full-on rope climb.

Yesterday I did both rope climbs in the first two rounds! So I ended up with four rope climbs (I'm pretty sure our gym's are 18' high), and twelve alternative climbs. I probably could have done climbs in all the rounds, but I was starting to get rope burn on my ankle from standing on the rope! 

Today's down n' up n' down was not so great...

Warm-Up

800m Run

Dynamic Stretching

For Time:
50 Burpees (4:10)

WOD

For Time:
2000m Row
100 Pull-ups

Notes: You make break up work however you would like. For example, row 250m and do 13 Pull-ups, then repeat until finished.

My strategy for the WOD was 200m row/10 pull-ups x 10 rounds... but there must have been too many down and ups because by 1000m I was starting to feel lightheaded, but I pushed on and got through 10 more pull-ups, albeit taking a good amount of time. I did another 200m, but when I moved to the pull-up bar, I knew I couldn't get up. I had to sit down. My mind felt fuzzy. I felt like passing out.

I got a big DNF (did not finish!) today. And the lightheaded-ness never really went away. I used to have problems a few years ago with orthostatic hypotension (a blood pressure drop upon standing that can cause lightheadedness), but it went away until today.

I've also had a lot of trouble with muscle cramping today - both my feet and hands. I've actually been having progressively worse muscle cramps over the past year and a half, with no relief from lifestyle changes or carefully monitoring my hydration (I get 3-5 quarts of water a day), or CoQ10, or magnesium supplements. A few months ago my blood calcium levels were slightly high, and last week I had more blood work done that still showed higher calcium levels, but also high parathyroid hormone levels. So yesterday I was referred to an endocrinologist (with a receptionist that doesn't feel the need to pick up the phone to schedule appointments!). Hopefully he can help me figure out what is wrong, because I'm very good at Google searches ... not helping my cause here.

With the Ragnar Relay race Mr. Crabs and I are doing in early January, and the marathon at the end of January, I hope I can get my calcium and PTH back to normal so they don't derail my training.

Tomorrow's workout doesn't seem too bad - a 1 mile run, some bench presses, and 400m of walking lunges (no weights!!!) so I will try to keep my mind off of the downs, and on the ups of this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment